I love Sydney in Summer. I want to move here. Its so lovely. Can u believe the sun rises at 530 and only sets at 8. EIGHT! how fantastic is that. And there is so much wind. Wind all the time. Okay, maybe because my brother stays near the beach in the East but still. Its so nice and pleasant!
There are double decker trains!!!
And lovely buildings! I love the architecture in Sydney. Its not only colonial but you see Gothic churches and Victorian architecture. Shopping Centres vary in architecture from new to old (oh god, Queen Victoria's Building is just a feast for the eyes but so painful on the pocket.Its like DFS and Paragon mixed but waaaaaaaaay better looking.)
Sales are REAL sales.
People are so friendly.
They have lay by! (That's a very useful system for students. You purchase something, like say, nike shoes, and you dont have to pay it all at one shot, you can pay 20% every week or something like that depending on the individual shops. So you don't buy something and starve the rest of the month. But its more relevent here because here, its weekly pay not monthly pay)
The guys are so hot. heh. I swear. Within 4 days, I have seen atleast 14 guys. Well, in Singapore, we know the count is rather minimal :P
And god, the girls too! They're so hot!
Nightlife is fantastic.
You hardly sweat.
Summer in the morning is actually cold!
You have Kangaroos! And koala bears!
PEOPLE CAN CROSS DIAGNOLLY.
And such huge portions. I had to hold a burger with two hands
Vegetarian food options everywhere except KFC. and I mean EVERYWHERE
I am an size S here! and if that ain't good reason to stay, I don't know what is.
Startbucks has flavours like creme brulee and gingerbread!! ( oh but no raspberry tea =[)
There's this fantastic ice cream cocet shop called Gold Rocks which lets you choose 2 different ice cream flavours (and they have things like Cheese Cake,Tia Maria, Natural Cream and Aussie Vanilla!) and you can add a mix-in (like Malteses, Freddo Frog and N.E.R.D.S). sooooooooooo coooooooooooooool. hahaha. But sadly, they have no Ben and Jerry's or Haagen Daaz =(
You can get Mexican food and Turkish food off the street.
Going on the train, you can hear atleast 4 different languages being spoken. For the first time in my life, I knew what Afrikkans sounded like.
I used to wonder what exactly do they mean when they say Singapore had no soul. Now I know. Soul is about everything. Its about history, its about culture and its about pride. Its about people. Its amazing how friendly people are in Sydney. I've seen bus drivers wait for like 5 mins because some old grandma was walking as fast as she could to get to the bus. There's always a hi and a hello. A merry christmas. And its not mechanical. Even when they have say Next please, it sounds nice. And confidence. Its really nice to see people not self conscious at all! And they pull it off because they look so confident. They could be wearing anything, and trust me, most times, these girls are wearing tops that don't need bras. or they come out in a bikini and they don't care whether they're tummy is sticking out or they might be commercially considered fat. They could be bitching to their friends about their weight for all I know but the fact is when they walk the walk, they catwalk.
And since everything here is private, everything has a tagline! Including Customs (Customs. protecting your borders) and the advertising is damn witty (we take u out of the Q_e_e). Its really just a joy to walk around and check out all these little things that you could never really find in Singapore.
The only problem is you have to walk all the time. And I mean ALL the time. Sydney is huge. And I mean HUGE with the big eyes and the hand gesturing. I'm so unused to the concept of taking a train to go outside of the city into a suburbs. Thank god, my brother lives near the city. But when I want to visit friends, wow! One of my friends stays about 1.5 hours away from the city! Can you imagine that! Just to go to uni, she has to travel 2 hrs a day! I know some people in Singapore do but the scale seems different because even if she took a taxi, it will still take her an hour! The scale is just something I'm not used to. And P/s: we are GIFTED to have shuttle buses in Noose. My brother walks between his two faculties and the distance is like walking from law to Central Library, the long way. (Past the halls and the terminus and up the hill. NO JOKE) Imagine that, every single day.
Oh wait but just as food is humungous here, so are insects and like little pests. My god, I've seen rats that put cats to shame! And spiders are as big as your palm! AND MOTHS! OH MY GOD, the moths are huge and they are vindictive. They don't just sit near the light, they don't let YOU sit near the light. And flies are huge and slow.sooooooo slow. soo slow that they stick to your face. Gross.
I know probably there are a lot of other problems with Sydney but so far, I'm having a great experience of it! so here are some pictures of lovely lovely Sydney. Thanks to my creative hand. ;)
University of New South Wales






The boat my brother is helping to restore, as part of the Maritime Museum's effort.





This is the workshop!!
anybody want their house reconstructed?
No comments:
Post a Comment